now is mainly agricultural but when the Driffield Canal was in its
hay-day the now peaceful Village of Wansford was a thriving
trading place as boats and barges came through on the route
between Driffield and Hull. The Wansford Trout Farms also provide
all year round fishing in well stocked waters!
the original rows of cottages are still standing with a number of
large detached properties having been built in recent years.
Marys Church serves the Village and surrounding area and was
built in 1868 by the Sykes family of Sledmere. The Vicarage was
built in the 20th Century, also by the Sykes family, along with
the former school and school house. The Old School is now a
fabulous private dwelling named The Finishing Post.
Village at one time boasted two public houses but today there
remains just one called The Trout Inn and Restaurant.